We should do this more often

Sister, Friend and I bounce down the beach in Friend's ute, sand clinging to the car mats, salt in the seat fabric. The air inside the car is cool and smells of pizza, the second of which isn't my first choice but I can work with it. (It does mean that I will soon have said pizza in my stomach, after all.) A song I do not know is playing on the radio, but I like it. 


We drive until almost all signs of civilisation have faded into the distance. To the north and east there are shadows, nothing but sand and sea and the coming night. To the west are the sand dunes, separating the sand and the tough Australian bush. To the south there are the distant, twinkling lights of the town I've called home for the past eight years. And above? Above are the stars. 

We spread out a blanket in the back of Friend's ute and lay the pizza out like it's a king's feast. We brought an aloe vera drink and soda water to share. I listen to Friend talk about her work week while I pick out the few constellations I know. There's Orion. I can't find the Southern Cross. Is that Perseus? 

I eat more pizza than I probably should have. We talk about university, how we're dealing with living in the "real world", whatever that means. Dog Instagrams, YouTube channels, how to best do our jobs. Sometimes it's dumb and sometimes it's a sobering reminder that we're adults now.

We talk and eat until there is nothing left of the ocean but it's gentle shhh, shhh, shhh, until the whole world is swallowed by the night, and it's quiet, and it's beautiful. We should do this more often, let the world swallow our words, and remember that we are only human.

Comments

  1. Taking time out of our hectic lives to reconnect with friends is so important. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts