Rearranging your bookshelf

Eventually, we all come to a time in our lives when Spider-Man swings through the window and - wait, no. We all come to a time in our lives when the Doctor lands his TARDIS in your front yard - um, no, that's not where I was going with this. 

What was I saying again? Oh, that's right. Rearranging your bookshelf. 


I would like to officially claim the title of Queen Whose Pictures Never Match Her Posts.

I tend to avoid rearranging my bookshelf for the obvious reasons of it taking forever due to the crazy amount of books I own. Besides, it takes forever to remember where I put everything because I don't organise them like a normal person by author or alphabetically. (My method is usually hey! That goes there! And that goes there! That would look nice over there!) So I try to avoid rearranging it. 

However, eventually we all come to a time in our lives when things need to change. (Ha, got there in the end.) For me, the first time I rearranged my bookshelf was when I ran out of room and had to upgrade. The second time was when I moved to Australia, and let me tell you that was an impressive undertaking. Anywho, that again took quite a bit of time. 

There's something magical about rearranging your bookshelf, though. It's like putting the world back in place, bit by bit. It's putting a ballast on your unstable and forever-shifting life, grabbing an weight of paper and ink to anchor yourself to while the storms of life drag you every way but the direction you want to go. It's rebuilding your life, book by book by book. And it's beautiful. 

How often do you rearrange your bookshelf? Do you have any specific methods of doing so? 

Comments

  1. Mine needs rearranged shortly to accommodate the new books I've gotten since moving out of the house. I typically arrange by "subject"--Christian fiction, non-Christian fiction, classics/favorites, animal stories, Star Wars (yes, it's its own category), and miscellaneous. Then I roughly arrange alphabetically by author in the categories.

    Random questions: Do you find different books in Australia from what you found in Canada? Do you have the same bookstore chains? Are cover designs different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just arrange it by author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts