NaNoWriMo, bushfires, and end of semester

As way of update, I have stupidly decided to plow headlong into NaNoWriMo without an outline, character plans, or any idea for what I'm doing. Also, I started on day two. As far as terrible ideas go, this hasn't been the worst. As of writing this, I'm at about 35k and do not completely loath my story. Generally dislike, yes. Loath, no. (Positives?)


I also finished my third year of university, which is crazy to write. Where has the time gone? I remember writing about graduating from high school on this blog, which really concerns me with how long ago that was. (Let's try not to think about it.) It's nice to have time to myself. I've mostly filled all my time with reading, writing, and a little bit of work as well. Summer vacation could not get much better. 

Depending on how often you watch the news, you may or may not know that we've been experiencing huge bushfires as of late. They started a little over a week ago and quickly got out of control in the dry, hot environment. A couple of my friends had to be evacuated, but thankfully everyone is fine. I have to admit, I am beyond proud of my little town. I was constantly checking Facebook to see where the fires were heading and every other post was about people asking for help or donations then being overwhelmed by the responses. People were offering food for animals, transportation, or spare couches for strangers to sleep on while local businesses offered free food, coffee, and air-con for firefighters and evacuees. A major thank you to the emergency services who have worked tireless for the past two weeks to keep my beautiful little town and its people safe.

It's a shorter post today as I still have to hit my NaNo word count. If you're doing NaNo, please tell me about your projects in the comments!

Comments

  1. Disasters are terrible, but it's really heartening to see how people can come together to make them less awful and share love and support with one another. I'm sitting out NaNo for a variety of reasons this year, but I think I might have an idea for Camp NaNo when it rolls around in the spring. Happy writing! Glad to hear you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful summer vacation!
    I'm behind on NaNo. I had nothing for almost this whole year because I've been job hunting while trying to be an editor. So I thought I'd have all this time for NaNo, and now I have an editing project, a copywriting project, and paperwork to fill out for a second job. Which is all good. I'm very thankful God sent work my way. But yeah, NaNo is suffering. XD I've switched my project in the second week to write about a sentient forest that basically adopts broken people and kills their oppressors.
    I hope everyone stays safe, and the bushfires can be eliminated soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts