What moving around the world actually entails (part 2)

I'm not 100% what the point was when we decided to move. Mom and Dad looked into it for a bit before they talked to us. I remember thinking that it would be kinda cool, but I don't think it ever really sunk in what it would mean. I don't think you ever really can understand it when you're that young, especially if you've never moved before. 

Everyone was pretty excited about it. We all loved Australia, and even though we were apprehensive about it we thought it'd be a pretty great adventure. 



Dad started looking for a job at job fairs. There were ones in Edmonton in Calgary and Dad eventually got a job, even though there were lots of issues with businesses folding and paperwork and time and more paperwork. 

And more paperwork. Seriously, moving countries is just one giant stack of paperwork. 

Finally, Dad had an interview over the phone, then a second interview. I remember Mom and I sitting on the stairs, listening in as Dad discussed moving arrangements. 

Mom leaned in and whispered in my ear. "We're moving to Australia," she said. 

Cue montage of packing boxes, crying, more packing and a lot of planning. We were going, and there was no turning back. 

Comments

  1. I can see where this would be simultaneously exciting, scary, and a little bit sad. It's fun to look forward to a new environment and a new living situation, but it's difficult to step out of the familiar and the loved and into the relatively unknown. I'm so happy you enjoy living in Australia, and I hope it wasn't too difficult a transition for you. I think it's kind of cool that you're parents decided to move, and I wonder what they're exact motivations were. Do you know? Thanks so much for sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up :) It was definitely difficult in the beginning but it's gotten easier the longer we stay. Um, we pretty much just wanted a change and an adventure. In our old town the mentality was kind of "I was born here so I'm going to die here" and we thought we'd get away from that. I touched on that a little here: http://victoriasoceans.blogspot.it/2015/10/questions-i-hate-being-asked.html
      And thanks for being interested enough to read it!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine moving to a different country. Just the thought of moving farther from home than driving distance makes me cringe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yeah, it was hard but worth it in the end. I couldn't imagine living away from home, though, so you're pretty brave for living on campus!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I can't imagine what it was like to leave one country for another!! When my dad was looking for a job a few years back, he was being interviewed by people in different counties and the idea of leaving New Zealand scared me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, it was pretty scary in the beginning. Well, New Zealand is a pretty amazing country, and you're so lucky to live there!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts