Tuesday, 7 March 2017

The Perfect Afternoon (gap year wrap-up)

As of the day I'm writing this (Sunday afternoon), this is my last day of freedom. Um, gap year. (Same thing.)



This year has been... incredible. Amazing. There have been a few bumps along the way, of course, as always, and some stuff has happened that I would have never imagined happening twelve months ago. But here we are. I've gone to Orientation for uni, I've bought my brand-new beautiful laptop, I have all my notebooks and pens and textbooks and a very expensive calculator, and I have all my pre-reading for Monday's classes done. First up? Fundamentals of Engineering. (I've decided to rename it Ninja Fundamentals, though. (Statics is Time's not Static (it's wibbly wobbly, timey wimey) and Applied Mathematics is Balance of Probability, my dear Watson, because I'm weird like that.) 

I'm scared out of my mind. (But that's ok. That's how we grow.) 

I cannot express how thankful I am to have had this year. I've grown so much as a writer and as a person, and none of it would have been possible without the amazing support of my family, friends, and of course God. (Let's give credit where credit is due.) I have had the most amazing time this year, and I couldn't have done it without a couple of amazing people. 

There have been a few specific afternoons that have been absolutely perfect this year, and that's how I want to remember it. I want to remember my curtains swaying in the breeze, my skin stained with ink as I fill pages of my journal. I want to remember dancing around the house with my music blasted, spending hours curled up in bed with a really good book, drinking too much tea for my own good. I loved the silence in the house when it's only me and my thoughts, the weight of everything I can't control off my chest for a few short hours, learning how to draw, learning how to write, learning how to speak French, learning about what it means to be me. Those are the afternoons I want to remember. They were the hours when my soul could finally breathe, and I am so thankful to have had them. 

And to everyone considering taking a gap year, let me assure you that I'm completely at rest with my decision. I have no regrets, no second thoughts. It's not right for everyone, of course. Think about your options, your reasons behind it, what you're going to do. Then take a deep breathe, plunge into whatever your decision is and don't look back. 

Did you take a gap year, or go straight to college/university? What's your perfect afternoon? 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't gone to uni yet but I'm happy that you have a nice time while you were on your gap year!

    Your subjects seem hard. I hope you excel in them all (I know I wouldn't xD)

    I hope you meet lots of lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in college, aren't you? I think it's the same thing, we just call it different names. Well, I believe in you, Grace :) Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I had a gap half-a-year, and I enjoyed it too. I think it's good to have a break before the busyness sets in again. I'm glad you found it refreshing! I hope you do well at uni, but most of all enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, breaks are epic. Thanks so much!

      Delete

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.