I don't know where my writing is going (and that's okay (but also slightly terrifying))

I've been a busy writing bee in the past few weeks. I've been off uni (thank you, Lord!) and working part-time so I've had a little more time on my hands. (I totally haven't spent it napping. I swear.) 


And while I absolutely love writing, I'm a bit frustrated at the same time. I have no idea where my writing is going. I have written in so many different types of genres, so many different characters and POVs and settings and for so many different kinds of audiences that I have no idea what kind of writer I am. I've written for middle grade and young adult and short stories and blog posts and poetry and novellas and now I'm confused. 

But you know, that's okay. I think if my paycheque (and thus the food on the table) depended on me knowing my brand/audience/style of writing I would be a little more stressed about it, but honestly I don't really care. I have so much time to figure out where I'm going with my writing because I have another job/career that will supply me with life's necessities. (Basically food, tea, books and movies. What else could I possibly need? (Actually, maybe rent. Rent might be important.))

I think often people take their writing too seriously. Writing is an adventure, it's a journey and there's not always an end point. So dearest writer, enjoy your travels through Middle Earth. Write a lot. Read even more. But most importantly, be kind to yourself and those around you. Life is too short to do anything else. 

Comments

  1. So true. Writing is a journey, and it's ok to change it up sometimes. Sticking with one thing throughout your whole life sounds like it could get boring at some point, right? Changing it up is a good way to challenge yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts