On making money, travelling, and privilege

I am an extremely privileged person, something I am very thankful for. I have supportive parents, amazing friends, and every opportunity in the world. I've had beautiful co-workers and teachers, a government that gives me opportunities to succeed, a culture that encourages me to work hard to achieve my goals and siblings to support me every step of the way. 




I don't ever want to downplay that fact, or pretend it doesn't exist because my privilege is very real and tangible and many of the amazing things that have happened to me is the cause of said advantages. (The last thing I want to do is to strut around like some super villain with a handlebar moustache proclaiming for all his minions to hear that he's amazing and conquered Middle Earth all on his lonesome (or something like that)). 

So with that out of the way, let's discuss how I could afford to travel so much. 

95% of the trips I've been on have been family trips, family funded. (Just writing that makes me feel like one of those characters on TV who follow their father around crying "Daaaddddy, money!!!" *shudders*) My family is upper-middle class, both of my parents work, and all five of us have the Travel Bug. (Not the one where you throw up for three days, the one where you want to travel everywhere.) I've been on tonnes of trips with my family, including the US, Europe, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, etc. It's kind of what we spend our money on. 

Up until I turned 18, all my holidays were paid for by my (beautiful and generous) parents. I realise this isn't the case for everyone (and please see the note on privilege above). I of course had to pay for anything extra I wanted to buy with my own money, but that was never a lot. 

For my 19th birthday, my sister and I had the opportunity to travel to Taiwan and Japan. This was the first trip ever that I funded by myself. (It put a massive dent in my savings, but that's beside the point.) I paid for plane rides, accommodation, train expenses, almost everything. I think as a Christmas/birthday gift my parents paid for travel insurance and maybe one hotel, but I think that was it. 

And honestly? I worked hard to go on that trip. I'd been working part-time throughout high school and university and saving my money for the past three or so years. (I also had an additional job during the holidays.) I think a lot of people might have seen it as another parent-funded trip because somebody was too spoiled to pay for it themselves but that wasn't the case. 

However, again, I was still able to go on that trip because of the amazing advantages I had at my disposal. I have never paid rent in my life (I live at home), I only pay for fuel for the car (my sister and I share it, it's the family car), and most of the time my groceries are covered. I can cover my school fees from my job (and tuition goes on a government loan that I don't have to repay until I start earning a certain amount (which I am nowhere near)). I didn't have to pay those expenses and so in turn was able to save the money that allowed me to go on that vacation. 

I am extremely blessed. I don't deserve so many of these opportunities and yet I've been given so much, and I want to thank everyone who has helped me on my journey. 

Comments

Popular Posts