Let's go on an adventure

So I drag myself back from work and my sister (M) meets me in my room. "I just got a text from Sarah. She was wanting to know if you wanted to go on an adventure? She'll be here in like ten minutes." (By the way, that's the best way to ask me out on a date. Bonus points if you quote The Hobbit.

I managed to not get any pictures, so I thought I'd show you what I do at 3am (in case anyone was curious). 

I grab something to eat then try to decide which shoes to wear for an adventure. I end up with a pair of old flip flops (which is probably not the best kind of shoes for an adventure trekking across Middle Earth but shhh). Sarah shows up, M grabs her ukulele and we all pile into Sarah's car. 

I watch the buildings unfold in the window from my position in the backseat. My town is a quiet one, and at this time of night the cars are parked in their driveways and the streetlights sputter on like the lazy flick of a magic wand. 

Sarah parks at one of the lesser-known beaches, and we tumble out onto the still-warm pavement. She pulls a bubble wand out from her trunk. I am beside myself. I can't play the ukulele to save myself (or any instrument for that matter), and so I attempt to blow bubbles in the warm breeze that whips across the grey ocean and tangles my hair while M and Sarah teach each other songs and chords. The water swallows my toes and I drown in the sky, which washes over us in tones of amethyst and silver and smoke. 

We pause for a moment to watch the waves surge up the sand. "You know." Sarah pauses to strum her ukulele absently. "We drive past this everyday, and we can come here anytime. How cool is that?" I gaze out over the swelling ocean, and the depth and enormity of it makes me feel insignificant but somehow very special at the same time and I can't help but agree. (She continues by saying how instead we often stay home and watch TV, to which M says hey, watch it.)

When it gets too dark to see, we drive up to a lookout and find a bench to look out over the ocean. M and Sarah attempt to teach me four chords. It does not end well. Instead of continuing, I hand the instrument back and try to sing along as they figure out the chords to Someone Like You, Can't Help Falling in Love with You and What a Wonderful World. That's also difficult for me, because I don't know all the words and my singing sounds like a dead llama. But I have fun. We watch the moon rise, we point out the distant streetlights, and we let our weird, wonderful music float across the ocean to rest in this place I've fallen in love with. 

First day with my new schedule, thanks for understanding everyone. Have you ever fallen in love with somewhere? Are you musically talented? 

Comments

  1. What a lovely time! You're so lucky to live that close to the sea.

    That's a really cool picture - is each line words?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was lovely :)

      Yep, it's from different stories of mine, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Hey, if Frodo can hike across Middle Earth in bare feet, you can certainly go adventuring with flip flops.

    I can also associate with singing like a dying llama. To add to the fun, this dying llama can only sing like 3-5 notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) That's my philosophy.

      *high fives for singing like a dying llama*

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't say I'm musically talented, but I can play a ukulele pretty well, and I want to go everywhere! And omg dude that is so gorgeous, you're ridiculously talented! I literally love it ohmygoodness.

    Amy;

    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hats off to you! Thank you so much, I really appreciate that :D Thanks for commenting, Amy!

      Delete
  4. Love this! It sounds like you had a good time. I love random adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley! I had a fabulous time, random adventures are amazing!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts