Avengers Blog Tag

With Endgame just around the corner, I thought I'd steal from RM and do an Avengers-themed post. 




Iron Man
A book that made you laugh

Artemis Fowl (Eoin Colfer), every time man. I was recently rereading The Infinity Code and stumbled across a joke I hadn't recognised before (the bad guy ran a company called Fission Chips (get it? Fission Chips? Fish and chips?)) and I fell in love all over again. (I have a thing for young Irish criminal geniuses, alright?)

Thor
A character with strength you admire

Kady Grant from Illuminae (Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff), mostly because she runs through the galaxy kicking butt, hacking supercomputers, is a space monkey, and is besties with a murderous AI. If I were Kady I would have given up on life near chapter three of the book but somehow she keeps pushing through to book three, and isn't that something we can all aspire to do?

Captain America
A book set in another era.

I don't read historical books as much as I should, but a couple of months ago I read the non-fiction The Nazi Officer's Wife (Edith Han Beer) which was absolutely fantastic. This lady was a Jew living in Nazi Germany who ended up marrying a Nazi officer in order to stay safe (people like her were called U-boats) and faked papers, family, and friends in order to avoid detection. The crazy thing was that a couple of weeks ago I was telling my mom about the book and she said that my great-grandmother was actually a U-boat as well. Books are amazing, aren't they?

Hulk
A book that made you angry


Twilight (Stephenie Meyer). I'm sorry guys, I tried so hard. I've been making fun of Twilight ever since it came out, but never having read it I felt bad because I'm a firm believer in having some kind of knowledge about a topic before complaining about it (a belief that obviously didn't extend to the Twilight saga (I know, I know, I'm a horrible, no-good hypocrite)). I actually took the audiobook out and tried to get through the first book, but I got maybe five or six chapters in before I was close to throwing my phone across the room.

Hawkeye
An underrated book

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Patrick Ness). Because Patrick Ness, guys. And I know the movie's supposed to be coming out this year and it's won a tonne of awards but for some reason not many people I've talked to IRL know about this fantastic series.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch
Sibling Love

I've been sitting here for way too long trying to think of a book featuring siblings but I'm coming up empty, so I'm going to break the rules a little and name The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) instead. (I know it's a comic book but I haven't read it, I've only seen the TV show.) While I think the Luther/Allison thing is gross, I love how the siblings are bickering idiots but they always (well, mostly) show up for each other in the end. 


(Also, can we talk about how Quicksilver shows up in The Avengers 2, (spoilers) dies, then is never brought up again? Scarlet Witch sure does get over his death quickly. (Usually they milk a death for ages but he disappears off the face of the MCU, which I thought was a bit weird.))

Antman
A book you want to read but can't


Can I put Twilight here again? (I know it's cheating, but it's my blog and I do what I want.)  Because I tried. I really did. It was just awful. I wanted to be proven wrong, I wanted to like it, but here we are. 

Loki
An antagonist you like

Victor Vale. My dudes, if you haven't read Vicious (V.E. Schwab) yet then you have a treat coming your way. It's one of those rare superhero stories where no one is really the hero and everyone has a little bit of a villain in them.

Well that's all folks. Is anyone else incredibly nervous about Endgame? Because my nerves are a bit high-strung at the moment.

Comments

  1. Thanks for stealing! It was fun reading your answers. What did you think of Umbrella Academy? I'm still not quite sure how I felt about it. It was so...different. And I guess I didn't have such a strong reaction to Luther/Allison. They obviously aren't truly related, and I mean, who else is going to have similar enough life experiences to relate?

    Also, now that you mention it, Quicksilver's utter disappearance from the MCU is a little odd. I honestly would have liked to have gotten to know him more as a character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime :P

      I really loved the Umbrella Academy, maybe because it was so different? Eh, I think if you have to say 'it's not *technically* incest' you probably shouldn't be writing it into a TV show. Like in real life if two adopted sibling got together people would be very weirded out.

      I know! He was so cool in Age of Ultron then *poof* he disappeared. It would have been nice to see him in one or two more movies, or at least have Scarlet Witch mentioned him once or twice.

      Delete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree about the Luther/Allison thing - I really can't get behind it. This was a great post to read, and the tag looks like SO MUCH FUN (might just steal it sometime...if that's okay...)

    THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO IS AMAZING. I love Patrick Ness, and I'm so excited/worried for the movie (I think Tom Holland is in it?). Have you ever read his book The Rest of Us Just Live Here? It's excellent, and I'd highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaaaank you, it weirded me out the whole season. Steal it anytime! I definitely didn't steal it myself... :P

      YES IT'S INCREDIBLE I WANT ALL THE PATRICK NESS. I CANNOT wait for the movie, but I'm also totally terrified because I just know they're going to mess it. Dude, Tom Holland & Daisy Ridley. I am in love. Yeah, I've read The Rest of Us Just Live Here and it's freaking amazing and I would also recommend it to everyone on the face of the earth.

      Delete
  3. Oh I actually have a copy of The Knife of Never Letting Go - I really must get around to reading it! Also - YES - the Umbrella Academy is brilliant! Can't wait for season 2. Luther and Allison aren't technically blood relatives but still it's weird. Too weird. I'm going to add Vicious to my TBR. I've been following the author on twitter for ages funny enough.
    Only a few more weeks before Endgame comes out! Cool blog btw
    /Marian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend you get around to reading it :) Especially because the movie is coming out later this year! I know Luther and Allison are *technically* related but come on, it's still weird and kind of not okay. Also Vicious is absolutely fabulous and I would recommend it with my dying breath. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. VICTOR VALE ! Yes! I'm so glad you mentioned him. (I almost placed him under Loki, but I cheated and made a new category for him, oops.) He's one of my top favorite fictional characters. My friend and I have decided that if Vicious becomes a movie, we really hope Tom Hiddleston plays him.

    I actually dnf The Knife of Never Letting Go? I don't remember why. I think it was because it was a library book or something, and it was due. I hear of it occasionally and have the urge to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VICTOR VALE! Oooooooh, YES, I want Tom Hiddleston to play Victor, that would be absolutely perfect. I don't know who I'd want to play Eli, but Tom Hiddleston would be perfect

      Noooo, go read it! The movie is coming out later this year as well and I'm so excited.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts