For when you're sad

I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I haven't been the most reliable blogger in recent years. I'm cool with this. Like obviously I'm working and studying and have a life so it's not like I have a tonne of time on my hands. In saying that, there is another reason why I'm not great at getting my posts up on time. About two years ago I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and that often makes it difficult to get stuff done. (Like I'm pretty good now, I've done a lot of hard work to be able to function as a normal person.) 


So when slumps hit, they hit. Not to complain or anything, but depression sucks. When I'm in a slump I literally struggle to get out of bed and deal with life. My head and limbs are heavy and my thoughts stop... thinking? It's awful.

In saying that, I've managed to come up with some techniques to feel a bit better during my down days. I don't know if these will work for you, but they're helpful for me. 

1. Buy/take care of some plants. Because plants always make me feel better? I don't really know why? They calm me down and help me focus, which is probably why my room is a literal jungle. 

2. Light a candle. I don't really like those self-care tips that are like 'Light a candle! Take a bubble bath! Chuck on a face mask!" because they're really surface-level things, but in saying that I've found (for me anyways) a candle really brings something calming and beautiful to the room. 

3. Drink lots of water. It's kind of cliché advice but you need to take care of yourself, even though it sucks. See also: exercise, fruit, and vegetables. 

4. Sleep. Because honestly if the world sucks enough, it's probably not worth it to stay awake and bother fighting through the day. 

5. Hug a puppy. Because dogs make literally everything better. 

6. Watch your favourite movie/listen to your favourite artist. Especially if you don't usually have time to sit down and enjoy them. 

7. Hang out with some friends. Even though it sucks to talk to people. Even though it's draining. Just explain the situation and say that you need someone to lay on the couch with you and not be human while you watch a movie. 

I hope that helped someone. Be kind to yourself, guys, and remember that there's always hope out there. 

Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles, but thanks for sharing your advice and telling your story. I think a lot of people feel a variation of blue to clinically depressed and don't feel like they can talk about it, or, alternately, that they have to glorify and revel in it to make it "real". Just like physical abilities and ailments, we all come from different places mentally and emotionally and we all need help from time to time. Keep up the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, RM. I agree, it can be hard to talk about sometimes, or other times it's all you can talk about. I appreciate the support :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Victoria!

    I had no idea you were going through this. I personally don't know if I have depression or not. I guess my GP says I am. I don't know how to comfort one who is going through it :( I hope that you eat a lot of delicious food and write stories that you like and read/watch a ton of things that make you laugh (in a good way).

    Take care.

    And yeah, water helps. I've been drinking quite a bit for years. then again I'm also diabetic and my blood sugars aren't always normal xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unless I tell people they typically can't tell, and in this case I have the benefit of a screen separating me from my audience. I'm so sorry that you're struggling with this as well, I hope you're able to find a way to manage it. You've done a great job comforting me, so thank you.

      Water is awesome, dude. I didn't know you were diabetic, thanks for sharing Grace.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts