The Canadian book haul

Full disclosure: This post is 100% me talking about the books I bought while on vacation, because I like talking about my books. Fair warning. 

I don't usually buy many books (gasp) because books are really expensive and I don't have money that I'm willing to spend. (Who has $25 to buy that new hardcover that you're not sure you'll love? No one, that's who. NO ONE.) (Although I did go to the second-hand store and buy a bunch of books for a dollar or two each because I "needed" new books. Sue me.)


Anywho, when I was in Canada we went shopping with some friends in Vancouver and the mall had a Chapters. (In case you weren't aware, Chapters is basically the best store in the entire universe and I love it so much because it's a whole store just for books. And it smells amazing in there! All paper and glue and ink and unread adventures.) 

The books were so cheap! I got a ton of brand-new books for under $20 each (The Magician's Elephant by Kate DiCamillo was $9 and I almost cried because it was so beautiful (both the price and the book)), totally blew my budget and came home happy. 

I also got this copy of Alice in Wonderland, which was super exciting because a) it's a hardcover, b) it's enormous, c) it's illustrated, d) it's in full colour and e) the paper is beautiful and feels expensive and awesome. The illustrations are beautiful and I like to pull it out and just look at it's beautifulness (and use the word "beautiful" too many times in one sentence). 


We also stopped at a Christian bookstore, and they had a second-hand section which was amazing. I got these beautiful old hardcover books (the oldest was from 1941) and a couple from this century. (I only had $25 in my wallet, and had to restrain myself so I could purchase a meal.) 

Have you ever had to chose between a book or a meal? How often do you buy books? Do you have any old books? What's your favourite book store? 

Comments

  1. I usually have packed lunches so I don't choose between books and meals.

    And on books being expensive I FEEL YOU FAM. My gosh, there's this shop in Ireland with many branches called Easons and I'm not kidding, they eat your money o.O Chapters in Ireland sell the same books for about 6-9 euro. The heck?! But Chapters is so far away! (an hour away) And I've never actually been inside a Chapters. What a shame. *cries* I'm going to buy books on November. Hopefully.

    Also, I see you bought Heaven is for Real. I've watched clips of the boys documentary... seems like a beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually a brilliant idea, I'll probably have to use that at some point when I'm living out of a cardboard box, weighing up my next meal or that new book...

      LIKE WHY ARE THEY SO CRUEL?? I think they're just trying to destroy our lives, that must be it. YOU'VE NEVER BEEN INSIDE A CHAPTERS? Grace, this needs to be fixed immediately. Enjoy book shopping!

      I've never seen the movie, but I read the book years ago and it's so great, I'd 100% recommend it.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you scored some good books there! Chapters sounds like an excellent bookshop, and that second-hand section sounds perfect(because I totally get not wanting to spend a fortune on one book. I like to scour the op shops and pick them for a dollar or two too, so I'm not going to sue you for that - in fact I'd probably join you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sighs contently* Chapters is totally excellent, it's my favourite store in the whole world.

      Like why would I spend $20 on one book when I can spend $20 on like five? There's no decision making here. And yeah! I'd totally join you :)

      Delete
  3. Oo, that AiW book is so BEAUTIFUL! XD Yes! I love AiW and I love it when the publisher loves it enough to give it the beautiful cover and art that it deserves. :) Secondhand bookshops rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! They've just made it all so pretty and wonderful and amazing and I just love it so much.

      Delete
  4. Bone Gap and Messenger are both sooo good! I hope you love them because THEY ARE AMAZING. For serious serious. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't gotten to Messenger yet but Bone Gap TOTALLY ROCKED. It blew my mind, like what even is life right now.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've read any of these but I am RARING FOR SCORPIO RACES! I know you love it, it must be lovely to have your own copy. Looks like a great haul all round, and the Alice one is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scorpio Races has destroyed my life because now I'm in love with Maggie Steivater (or however you spell it) and I must read all the things. I just finished the Raven King (finally) but must say I'm a little disappointed? I dunno, I think it just got a little too weird for me in the end. *shrugs* It was still totally beautiful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts