State of Origin, the bane of my existence

So every year, Queensland and New South Wales go head to head in the biggest war of the century. (Yes, there's a biggest war of the century every year. You cannot escape my logic, jabberwockies.) Sides will be chosen. Lines will be drawn. Insults will be thrown. Blood will be spilled. 

State of Origin has begun. 


Source

Okay, so I may have exaggerated just a little. State of Origin is a three game rugby competition between Queensland (QLD) and New South Wales (NSW). The first game is coming up on June 1st. 

On game days, everyone comes to work/school/whatever either wearing blue (NSW) or maroon (QLD) to cheer for their state of origin, or the state where they grew up. I once wore a blue shirt to school (I didn't have a maroon one, because honestly, who owns a maroon shirt??) and was mercilessly teased all day. Everyone was pretty good once I explained, but the poor math teacher was from NSW and I was surprised that she survived the school day. If you take nothing seriously in Australia, take sports seriously. (Although I'm the type of person who mocks Australians for their love of sports. Like dudes, netball? It's not a sport. YOU ALL WEAR SKIRTS. Footy? FOOTY'S LAME AND FOR WIMPS. (Now excuse me, after that last insult I have to go hide in the mountains somewhere so I can live until adulthood. (Although footy isn't for wimps, because I'm pretty sure they all have brain damage from massive collisions.)))

QLD has had a pretty good winning streak (like seven years in a row or something), but last year (the year before?) NSW won best out of three and I'm honestly surprised that no one rioted (or if they did I didn't hear about it).

So in recap: State of Origin is coming up and I'm going to have to endure long, manly talks about some athlete who I should probably know but don't, there will be relentless teasing of the poor souls from NSW and whatever you do, don't insult sports in Australia if you want to live to a ripe old age. 

Are there any major sports games where you live? What are the most popular sports? Are you into watching/playing any sports? 

Comments

  1. The U.S. is hugely (is that a word?) into sports. Football, basketball, and baseball are probably the biggest ones, although I would personally add hockey in there.

    I have difficulty rooting for professional sports teams unless they're really local. But I do enjoy cheering on my college teams, especially the hockey team.

    We have several big rivalries in our area. My college has a gargantuan rivalry with another school in our state, mostly because we get mistaken for them all the time and we're somewhat less well known. (My school is "[state name] State University" and the other school is "University of [state name]").

    This was a fun post! I watched a movie about rugby once, but I wasn't familiar with the other two sports you talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugely is so totally a word. And yeah, I think the US is pretty into their sports :)

      That's great that you support your college teams! And I think it's difficult to root for professional teams sometimes because it's not your neighbour/friend/roommate/whatever playing. It's just some random dude. That's my opinion, anyways.

      Ha, I could see how that would get confusing! Well, I hope you guys destroy them in battle and wash the floor with their blood. (Actually, no, don't do that. Please. But feel free to peacefully beat them in your next competition.)

      To be honest, I still have no idea what's going on with the other sports.

      Delete
  2. Netball IS a sport and if you disagree we're gonna figh- wait, we don't even play netball over here

    *coughs*

    In Ireland, Gaelic football, hurling/camogie and rugby are the Nation's sports. Also, football (not soccer ;) is quite popular.

    I used to watch a lot of Premier League, World Cup, The Euros, Champions League and The African Cup of Nations. I don't anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, but what the heck are jabberwockies?

      Delete
    2. BRING IT ON, GRACE! LET'S FIGHT THIS ONE OUT!!

      Those sound pretty interesting :) Why did you quit watching? Did you just get bored of it?

      Sorry, I call my blog readers "jabberwockies" which is a reference to Alice in Wonderland and the jabberwocky she slays. I have a thing for Alice in Wonderland, and I figured that having an army of jabberwockies could come in handy one day.

      (Also, I started using Hello Talk, and it's amazing! Thank you so much for introducing me to it!)

      Delete
    3. *swings fists* IT'S ONN!

      I guess I got bored of it? I should read Alice in Wonderland...

      Ohh! Yes! I'm glad you started using HelloTalk it's AWESOME!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions! I'd love to hear from you. Please note that I reserve the right to delete comments that I think are hurtful.

Popular Posts